8/7/06

more training & racing

Another great training weekend and a race in the bag. Did some great sprints on Thursday, and a nice long 85 miler with the river ride thrown in for some pre Dunnigan practice. Had some good wind so we spread things out and had a couple fun sprints. Was heading down to my parents on Sat night so figured I would pop down for the Timpani crit on Sunday. Sarah was open too it with a Tahoe trade off for next weekend. Compromise is good thing! Me = pretty tired, especially from the vino at moms, hard ride the day before and sprints on Th. Usually I’ll do those on Tues or Wed in time to recover for the weekend but the race was sort of a last minute thing.

Looked like most of the big guns were out and I was out there on my own again. This one I just sat in for awhile and tried to stay in a decent position in case something dangerous went off. Lots of attacks and wheels a blazin’ – not to mention a strong cross wind again a la Minden. Felt like I managed not to burn too many matches except for one bridge, which was a calculated risk and well stocked with the stock boys. Well that break fizzled and ended up being a waste. Ok sit in and recover and get on some decent wheels. With about 5 to go it was getting really fast and I somehow faded out of position. OK have to get back up there and position. I moved from the back to the front with 1.5 to go or something close – again the memory gets fuzzy in these balls out crits. Had to go around a cone – ooops the pack pushed left and that was safer than running into it. I found a wheel quickly and got in position near the front and held on. OV goes off with just over 1 to go and I was riiiiiigggght there and had that split second decision knowing that could be The Move. I jumped on for the ride and we all know OV is more than capable of soloing the last lap even if sick. I debated this strategy in my head and talked it over with Sarah before the race we figured that would be as good a strategy as any. He was drilling it and I figured that would be a good risk to take and the effort behind was not too bad. We pedaled the corners hard. OV did the under the arm look and I just stayed focused on position and had no obligation to come around (and legs for that matter). He bowed out with about a half a lap left either tired or not wanting to lead out others (?). I found a wheel pretty quickly and did not give up position too much, but that wheel was tired or saving some for the P1/2 and lost momentum…..then I got swarmed and race over. No point in going for 15th so sat up and stayed safe – upright finishes are a good thing. Awesome racing and fun to watch the other team’s tactics.

6 Comments:

At 8/08/2006, Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

le oops.

i was leading out my sprinters on that last lap. You did a great job in positioning yourself up front after a very fast, very aggressive race. But, you didn't see the forest because of the tree.

ok, here's some advice:

if it's the last couple laps, the only attacks that will make a dent are ones that occur when there is a serious speed differential between a pausing pack and the shooting out attacker. When you saw me 'go' on that last lap, you will remember that the speed was steady and high. And you will recall that when I took over at the front, the speed increased - but only slightly. I was keeping the pace high to ensure the position of my sprinters (who were about 7 wheels back).

You'll recall that when I do attack, it's always with an intent to create an immediate gap on the pack. This is especially true if you're ever thinking of taking a last lap flyer ... the initial gap is essential. If you don't have that gap ... you will be caught. The truisms to remember are that the final 600 meters of a race are always, always going to be faster in a pack then a solo rider. And so, that initial attacking gap is the amount of 'play' you give yourself to hold off the pack in the final meters. At the 35-39 district crit, this is exactly what Reaney and I did - we attacked during a small lull in the pace and opened up a small gap. We were able to hold it to the line.

At Timpani, the reason I was railing it through those bottom turns was to keep it safe and hold off any riders trying to better their position. When you saw me looking under my arms back at the pack, it was not to signal anyone to take over ... it was me constantly checking the position of my sprinters.

You'll remember I went out of the saddle that last 10 seconds, or so up the headwind straight. I was at maximal effort there and digging all i could to set up that final 600 meters. I knew that i didn't need to take it longer than that because there were a good 7 or 8 riders in front of my sprinters. Those riders would either: 1) continue the leadout and then pull off themselves, ensuring my riders would be well positioned. or, 2) slow down and look at each other, creating a lull in the pack that would enable my riders to launch out of the pack to attempt a solo dig.

Unfortunately, what happened was a lull a few meters after I pulled off and a rival rider jumping away clear to hold it for the win (Clark). My riders hesitated and paid for it. ah well ... that's racing.

but, my role in that situation was clear and i did what i could to best optimize my team's chances at winning.

And so ~ the good you can take from the race is that you where a player and there at crunch time. The bad is that you misread what I was doing a bit and got caught out because of it.

fun.
~m

 
At 8/08/2006, Blogger nosajpalnud said...

thanks for the advice - that helps the learning process and a little more on what to look for

well at least there was some good...

see ya at Dunnigan/Suisun

Suisun is a short course so I'm guessing that's a tough one for a break to get away?

 
At 8/09/2006, Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

suisun is very fast ... but last year saw breaks go in both the 35's and proseys.

this year? dunno. it always comes down to who shows up and who wants to play.

the course is an attackers course ... so, it will be another case of lucking out on the right break or gambling none get away.

fun.

 
At 8/10/2006, Blogger PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

olaf's sprinters have a colective IQ somewhere in the mid 80s. Barely functional, and prone to doing the wrong thing at the wrong time--or, doing nothing at the wrong time---or, what was i talking about???

 
At 8/10/2006, Blogger nosajpalnud said...

OV - thx for the Suisun info as well. I think I'll actually have some team mates this time, so hopefully with a little better read on things.

PAB - well you had a nice win the day before. Was too far back to see how you guys fared at Timpani. I think that was you after the race, but I was a little disoriented and occupied with a 95lb. mutt that decided he wanted to wrestle.

 
At 8/11/2006, Blogger Dr. Xeno said...

Suisun has wind off the river there, always a factor. Last year in the 3/4/5 masters we got lapped by a 3 then 2 man break. Once they get around a corner, hard to bring em back. Have fun, I'll be in Baja.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home