6/24/07

Burlingame

Burlingame Crit

Masters 123

Teammates – Peter Allen & John Fairbanks

We embarked on a lil trip to the Peninsula. Peter was fired up for this one like a kid in a candy store. By the way he’s won the race several time, knows the course well and was able to give John and I the full run down. We were determined to ride aggressive and gun for a win. We got there early and Peter got us into the sweet stealth secret parking spot real close to reg – nice.

Had a full field of 100 and some major big guns. Safeway had a skeleton crew vs. the usual armada. AMD had a tough crew sans Nolan who’s apparently out with broken ribs from Nez. Started out and got kinda stuck behind some folks that could not find their pedals. John made it to the front and single handedly covered the first 1/3 of the race. I slowly moved up and got close cause he needed some help – it was fast, windy and just frickin hard to move up. Made yesterday look easy IMO. Finally found a nice wheel who pulled me up which was critical as there was a break of seven or so up the road, we were not in it and AMD had two (at least it looked like two). The timing worked out well. I went to front and pulled through the turns. It was strung out and a spine guy let a gap form behind me so I gassed it and tried to bridge. Gave a look under the arm and no one was following. Potential no mans land......Heard John yell GO! I was committed, gave it some more gas and buried myself. It took almost a full lap to catch and hurt – they were flying. The break had Joel Robertson, Andrew Barlow, Dirk Copeland (Cal Giant), Markus Roccareo, Brian Bosch , Max Mack, and Craig Roemer(AMD) (I think?) and Dean LaBerge (AMD) no Morgan, Safeway, Lombardi, Alto Velo or EMCs made it. AMD took hard pulls as did Bosch, and Copeland. We got to about 20 seconds on the pack at one point - at least thats what I heard from the sidelines. With 8 laps to go LaBerge mixed it up with one other (?) and crashed – just heard the crunching carbon. La Berge took a free lap and got back in. According to Peter and John they covered the front well with the other AMD guys (McKinley and Casey) and stayed in striking distance should the break die. Perfect execution and teamwork. The field got ancy and Gaver from Spiney took a two-lap pull and got it close according to J & P. With the field strung out John found an opportunity to attack and tried to bridge. Unfortunately, he did not make it. Bosch and Roemer absolutely drilled their pulls as did Copeland. I drilled it too, just not as long as the others with the Hernandez's golden rule in mind – “never, ever get dropped from the break.” Learned my lesson at Golden State with Dan Martin. Also wanted the break to be successful as that is so satisfying. The pack was within 5 seconds with 3 to go – not good at all. Bosch almost ripped everyone up with a monster pull – a few of us traded and LaBerge tucked back. Strategically thought about where and when to be in the rotation and with two to go drilled the corners from turn 1 to 3 and did my job to help cement the break figuring that was the best odds. Think we brought the gap up a bit but with a hard charging field. Now the tricky part – how do I win! Well I tried to set myself up behind LaBerge and he went with Copeland with about 400 to go. Thought about going early at 1K, however the wind would have sapped me, so I rolled the dice. Got squeezed a bit and had to go to the left with Bosch, which caused the death pause – gave it full throttle, err whatever gas I had left, and ended up 4th. I’m stoked because the team rode great and we pulled in a top placing in a very tough race.

John placed 15th in the P12, which had about 100. I almost puked after the first race and was just going to sit in. Well after 15 minutes or so I decided to actually get in the race and slowly picked off positions till I found myself at the front for some sponsor time. Was actually having a great race until 25 minutes to go or thereabouts when someone took me out in a corner. Got back in the race, but the legs were toast after stopping and kind of seized up. Another crash split a few of us and I was too tired to chase and called it a day. Kudos to John for finishing that one and getting us some lunch money.

4 Comments:

At 6/24/2007, Blogger Gianni said...

Sounds like your bringing your game up big-time.

Very nice work, that's a tough race.

 
At 6/25/2007, Blogger Chico Cyclist said...

Great job!! Sorry to hear about the crashes though - that sux. Will you be racing Davis??

 
At 6/25/2007, Blogger banks said...

Nice report and great racing this weekend. Keep it up and I'm one step closer to living a dream:

Sierra Nevada buys us an E-Z up we can take to races and gives us a pony-keg per race allowance.

We have some lawyers on the team who can work out the liability issues, right?

 
At 6/25/2007, Blogger nosajpalnud said...

thx y'all

I'm likin' the tent and keg thing for sure.

Not decided on Davis - the time sucks for the 35+ 123 race and I'm stayin out of the P12 on a tight course like that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home