7/1/07

Vacaville Grand Prix

Vacaville Grand Prix

Masters 35+ 123

Small but potent field of about 35 for today’s race. Nolan and a few AMD mates, Safeway had about 6 sans Hernandez, Bubba, EMC with about 4, Fonseca, Gaver, Reaney, Bosch and mates, and some others. We didn’t really need a bigger field.

Good course with some technical turns and a nice little hill to burn the quads. We did 16 laps up that little bugger and I’ll have to say the team’s Tuesday ride is perfect training for it. We were fortunate enough to have the temp in the high 80s vs. 100, however the wind was brisk and wore on the legs. As usual, there were lots of attacks – some on the hill were just down right vicious. With no mates I just kept an eye on the players, stayed aggressive near the front and went with what looked like dangerous attacks (Nolan, Bubba, etc.). Missed a move with about 7 in it that grew from a couple, but they were not gaining and it was missing some key guys so I was not too worried. Reaney worked a lot to pull it back and I did help a bit - fair enough amount for one guy and no mates. Spun up the hill in the small ring most of the time and switched to big ring toward the end cause you can’t get lost on the accelerations on this course or you’re dead (memories of last year).

With 5 to go, I was losing steam big time on the hill – that or the accelerations were harder. It was just a fast race. Dropped back and recovered for a couple laps and told myself to get the heck back up there. That's the point in the race where you gotta draw on the reserves and stay mentally tough - eveyone else is tired too. Saw Bosch just sitting in the back with 3 to go and figured he would be moving up. He got about half way to front and must have been saving it for the P1/2 race. Lucky break came with two to go where it slowed before the chicane and seized the opportunity to claw my way back to the top 10 by being agressive.

Last lap was fast and Bubba attacked well before the last climb. I was sitting about 6th wheel just where I wanted to be. Told myself no matter what to stay with the accelerations on the hill as that would be the race. We drilled it, caught Bubba then Wire launched. I got 4th wheel at the top of the hill with Poulsen yelling “Go Chris”. Was able to push my way to 2nd wheel and Wire jumped again with about 450-500(?) to go and into the wind. I started to sprint to catch (and was darned tired). Wire got a gap (others thought I let it open up - sorry guys was not intentional) and I sat down thinking that a hard spin with a lower aero body position would get me back on his wheel then I could jump again (hellllooooo McFly). Well I guess that is the learning experience for today, cause I totally blew the finish and sitting down at that point was stupid as we only had about 250 to 300 left and he kept the gap open. Reaney came by first and then Nolan in the chicane. I had one more gear and slammed it in the 11 and gave it everything for the last 150. Just missed Nolan at the line by a few inches and took 4th. Wire held it for the win. Good news - was in the right spot at the right time and just need some more finishing practice.

6 Comments:

At 7/02/2007, Blogger banks said...

Solid. Probably see you Tuesday.

 
At 7/02/2007, Blogger Chico Cyclist said...

Sweet!!! That hill looked nasty hard - power climb vomit launcher. Way to go out there - those were some big guns playing in that race.

 
At 7/02/2007, Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

getting closer.

good ride.

 
At 7/03/2007, Blogger nosajpalnud said...

thx gents

well after looking at the pics it looks like Reaney gave it away so I don't feel so bad - not sure why you'd sprint with hands on the tops of the bars vs. drops and look over before the line - almost looks like he misjudged the line.

 
At 7/03/2007, Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

no, Reaney does sprint like that sometimes. he's got a very good sit down, wind up.

i'm sure he was going 110%. that's how he races.


if he was the one who dug into you about losing Chris' wheel, don't sweat it. Steve's a good guy, he's just a big cannon and fires off in a lot of directions during the heat of battle.

trust me, he was just talkin' shit out of frustration, nothing else. anytime he's at a race, he's an animal and will claw for it all.

so, good racing. and next time - don't lose that wheel!

 
At 7/03/2007, Blogger nosajpalnud said...

No one really dug in at all, in fact it was a good clean race and I don't think I heard one swear word the whole race for a change. Steve is cool and has given me some tips in the past - guess I'm just really being too hard on myself for dropping the platter that was handed to me and did not mean for the comment to come off that way.

Steve's a good sprinter(district champ) - I've not seen that form before though. Anyway all is good and I'm actually pretty stoked about the results and racing lately.

And I'm looking forward to the HEAT tomorrow - bwahaaa hahaa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home